Town of Islip Animal Shelter & Rescue Organizations
The Town of Islip Animal Shelter would like you to consider adopting from your or local animal shelter. Not all shelters are no kill facilities which means you save a life! Instead of adopting a pure breed from a puppie mill, consider adopting a mix breed from The Town Shelter. They are just as cute and have less problems than pure breeds. If you choose to adopt a pure breed consider rescueing one from our many organizations listed below. Although your local Town of Islip Animal Shelter has pure breeds as well.
Town of Islip Animal Shelter
Dog Friendly Beaches in the Town of Islip
- Heckscher State Park: Dogs on a leash no longer than 6 feet are allowed on the beach, access in undeveloped areas only. Dogs are not permitted in camping, bathing and picnic areas, in buildings or on walkways.
- Fire Island National Seashore: Dogs are permitted, but must be kept leashed and are not allowed in public buildings, on lifeguarded beaches or near areas closed for endangered species.
- Ocean Beach on Fire Island: Dogs on a leash are allowed on the beach only during the off-season, from September 16 through May 14.
Dog Friendly Parks in the Town of Islip
Dog Park Etiquette
- Scoop the poop.
- Keep your dog on a leash when a leash law is enforced.
- For safety reasons, never let your dog greet others unless invited to do so.
- Make sure your dog is well behaved and will listen to obedience commands.
- Pay attention to your dog and be responsible for their behavior
- Follow the posted rules as they can vary at individual parks.
Pets on the beach on Fire Island
Heckscher State Park, East Islip
There are areas of Fire Island that you can bring your dog off season.
More Information about Fire Island Dog Friendly beaches
Dogs must be on a leash no longer than 6 feet are allowed on the beach, access in undeveloped areas only. Dogs are not permitted in camping, bathing and picnic areas, in buildings or on walkways.
Ocean Beach in Fire Island
Dogs on a leash are allowed on the beach only during the off-season, from September 16 through May 14.
Gardiner Country Park
Montauk Hwy., Bay Shore, NY 11706
This is a large park with a lot of on-leash walking trails. Overlooking the Great South Bay which has water access and a beach where your dogs can swim and play in the water. Restrooms, playground, water available for the canines. Gardeners Park Information
Dog Friendly Parks outside of the Town of Islip
Blydenburgh Dog Park:
There's lots of dog traffic here, with designated off-leash areas, plus a fenced run with wooded, dirt and grass areas covering 1.8 acres. You can walk dogs on leash outside the run to water and along the boardwalk. The dog park is located within 627-acre Blydenburgh County Park in the southern section of the park. The dog park itself is on the activity field, north of the campgrounds. There's a bathroom near the run, but no other park facilities. Blydenburgh also offers trails to hike, lakes to jump in and places to picnic. LI Dog Owners Group , firstname.lastname@example.org
Vets Memorial Highway Smithtown, NY
Phone: 631-854-3713Blydenburge Park website
Animal Rescue Organizations
Information about Animals
If you know of an Animal Rescue Shelter or organization that we can list, contact us
and let us know!